Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What does it mean to communicate effectively?





Anthony Robbins says “To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide for our communication with others.”
Recognizing that we are all different, and therefore hold different values, priorities, and expectations is an important realization. As a mediator for many years I often observed that the parties in conflict assumed that their beliefs were the beliefs (of everyone). When we can be just a little bit curious, we open up a door to understanding and seeing situations from another perspective. Sherry Buffington offers several important considerations and questions. She says that “In order to improve communications with others, a good first step is to understand your own communication style. Ask yourself:
1. What motivates me?
2. What gets in the way of my communicating well?
3. How do I like to receive information?”

Let these questions guide you this week in understanding other’s perspectives and communicating more effectively. I’d love to hear how this works for you.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post and Nice Article….I like it.Thanks for Sharing very informative post.

    Communicate Effectively

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment.