Sunday, January 9, 2011

Letters to Mentors



What does the word MENTOR mean to you? Over the past year I have found myself reflecting upon the many mentors I have been fortunate enough to have in my life, both personally and professionally. I have started a process called Letters to my Mentors!
Through writing letters to my mentors (from childhood, school, dance classes, former workplaces, colleagues, friends, etc.) I have the opportunity to share with them how their mentoring and guidance has impacted my life, and, how I have been able to share the learning forward with others.
Oprah Winfrey has a definition of mentor that quite resonates with me; she says that “a mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself.”
As you move into the week, take a few moments to reflect upon those who have been mentors for you. Should you choose to focus forward, how could you acknowledge them?
The interesting thing about mentorship is that you have likely been a mentor to someone in your past and may not be aware of it.
Always remember you may be a mentor for someone and not even know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.