Friday, June 29, 2012

What can we learn about business from a four year old?


Recently I was watching the news and a headline caught my attention right away. “Four year old girl Andrea Vaughn raised $100 for humane society.’ Here a little girl who isn’t even in Kindergarten gets the concept of giving and being full on in community service.

It is a personal rule for us that whenever possible we say “yes” to children who ask us to buy girl guide cookies, have a lemonade sale, sell chocolates or are doing a fundraiser for the school. Our aim in doing so is more about helping them hone that critical skill of asking, and supporting the causes they believe in. (and of course because I love chocolate and girl guide cookies). And when we can't support them, we thank them for asking us. 

There is a quote that says "If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. Belief is the beginning of capacity, and of success.

So back to the question, what can we learn about business from a four year old?  We can be reminded of:
- How important it is to be a champion for others
- We are leaders in many areas of our lives
- To celebrate accomplishments, even the tiny ones
- To ask!
- To come from a place of giving.