Wednesday, August 11, 2010

You can tell a lot about a person…by the way they cut the grass

As I zoomed around on the lawn tractor I noticed my husband Christopher smiling and shaking his head. I smiled back and kept going. I was in the middle of a creative design, a green masterpiece. The artful grass cutting started with a nice even diagonal cut but after about four back and forths of this, I changed it up. By the time I was done I had a diagonal pattern, with circular sweeps around the horseshoe pits, and square boxes around the trees.
Christopher and I had a great conversation about what you can tell by how a person cuts the grass. He is the logical thinker, very methodical in the way in which he works, and is detail focused. He is exceptionally skilled at working at a task from start to finish. He is a classic Analytical and Driver Working Style (Hal Stacks). His grass cutting is always neat, orderly and on a perfect diagonal. I am the other hand would be what Hal Stacks Working Style assessment refers to as the expressive working style, as noticed by the grass cutting style. Expressives need variety, and thrive on creativity and expression.
So, next time you go for a walk, notice how you neighbors cut the grass. And what about you? What does your yard say about how you work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment.